Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 21, 2022

Taking off the gloves

What is that saying, "Don't worry if you make waves. The moon does that all the time simply by existing."

I am just one of those people that drama seems to come into my life. I literally was hired as a drama teacher when I had only had two theater classes under my belt, and I did that for the better part of a decade. I loved that experience, but in my own life I am really ready for no drama. 

I just always wanted a normal life. I will check my own privilege. I have had a ton in life. I totally am aware of this. That does not mean life has always been easy. Is life easy for anyone? I don't think so. 

This city girl married a farm boy looking for the normal life. Well that did not work out too well. 

I have had to fight. I fought for my marriage that failed. I fought infertility and went on to have three beautiful kids. I fought very hard in public ed, where I saw the face of poverty for the first time in my life. I fought very hard to get my master's degree. I worked full time and went to school at night. I had to fight harder to get my doctorate. I taught college full time and went at night.

I have had to fight for respect at work, as I am not a tenured professor, am female, and a mother who started in higher ed without a phd at my alma mater. But recently my peers have sure given respect to me as of late. They voted me into positions. That is a huge honor.  Thank you. 

But I am sick of fighting. I am gonna heal now.

It seems like everyone in America at least is always fighting anymore. Maybe we all need to just put down our dukes for a minute and take off the boxing gloves. This is getting us nowhere fast. And I am done fighting too. I am done fighting for respect in the ivory tower. I am coming back to that we need to be happier and healthier people and the only way to do that is to love. Love unconditionally. We need to quit with the divisive, narcissistic society.  Narcissism is an epidemic. People need to stop only thinking about themselves and try walking a mile in other people's shoes. Our nation is really lacking empathy, and it is scary. 

So I for one am done fighting. I am done proving myself to anyone. That's the thing about being an older woman - you do get wiser. You actually stop caring what other people think of you because as a young woman that is all society tells us should matter. I don't have to prove anything to anyone anymore. That is all I have done my entire adult life. So over that crap. 

People can accept me for who I am. I am a flawed individual like everyone else, but I also have a lot to offer the world. And we all need to start accepting others for who they are and try to understand where each other is coming from. We need more empathy. We need more love. I'm done fighting. I'm done with other people's ridiculous expectations and drama. On to happier days of being my authentic self. The right people will be in my life, and I hopefully attract better. I have no fight left. 

Peace. 








No comments:

Post a Comment