Total Pageviews

Friday, August 5, 2022

I’m divorced and have a gay child and am Catholic?

So I teach at a Catholic university and was raised Catholic. When I teach my students from the Compendium for Catholic Social Doctrine, I tell them that I stay in the Church because I believe in their fundamental teachings, which I do for the most part. The family as the vital cell. Respect for all life. All life has dignity. Love Mother Earth. Distributive Justice. Help the poor. Be political.

But as people who know me know, I have never colored very well within the lines. See, I love that the word Catholic means universal, and for the most part I buy that the church tries to be this, except for the educated feminist in me who also sees it as a patriarchal government system - a construct created by man.


Do I love Jesus? Heck yes! I love Jesus. What is not to love about Jesus Christ? I tell my college students all of the time that of all the philosophers whom I have studied, Jesus makes the most sense. He does. I love the guy. My best friend has just now found Christ. My friend literally called me to discuss this yesterday. I was so honored that of all the Christians he knows, he called me about questions.  I told him Jesus was like the first hippie. Jesus may  actually be why I probably started following the Grateful Dead. Just a joke, kind of. No disrespect meant. Jerry and Jesus probably would hit it off up in heaven.But sometimes I think Jesus would not agree with the current state of affairs in American Christendom.


But what do you do with a church that really is not universal, when they say they are? I have read St. Thomas Aquinas’s “Natural Law, ” but Sorry Fathers, I have some critiques. Sorry mom. Sorry to my Jesuit-trained department chair. You wanted me to get my PhD. I did. This is what happens.


So natural law places men over women? And places heterosexuality over homosexuality? Well if God created us in his own image, what about my gay child? Jesus never one time talked about homosexuality as a sin. The Old Testament did in Leviticus, and also said don’t wear a garment made out of two different fabrics.  I also teach and believe that God made us in their own image, and God doesn’t make mistakes.


I guess I’ll still be Catholic and divorced with a gay child, but honestly some of you Catholics make me wonder. If you are gonna be the universal church then do it. Don’t exclude, which currently the church still does. At least I teach at a Marianist Catholic university with like minded Catholics. But I constantly have to remind people in my life that Fox News is not the Church nor is the Republican Party. And Oh yeah, in America we are supposed to have religious freedom. People have literally told me that the appreciate Catholics for not enforcing our views or religion on them. I apologize that the Supreme Court and nation have now. I am honestly kind of embarrassed by this fact. And we need to take a step back as Catholics and really think about how far we are gonna let this go. I still believe in a Universal Church, but I also believe in a free democracy. I believe my gay child should be accepted fully for who they are. And although the majority of my church was beyond supportive during my very difficult divorce, I can assure that mom who starts rumors that I am trying to steal your husbands at the bowling alley is a lunatic. Ladies, I guarantee that is NOT happening. I do believe in Christ and try to truly follow him. I just ask that more Catholics do also. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment