Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 23, 2022

So basically I must be Marge Simpson

 So I was married to Homer and just broke up with Mr. Burns. What is wrong with me? I'm just kidding, sort of. I loved both these men obviously. But see The Simpsons captures so many truths about humanity.  And it is so funny. 

See, I am a Simpsons fanatic, so much so that I even teach a class on it. When I teach the class, I always tell my students, God has a sense of humor. 

But this show is just so hilarious to me for so many reasons. It is no wonder it is the longest running show in American history. 

In my college course, we look at the show through four academic lenses. Obviously English Studies. The other three disciplines are Religious Studies, Philosophy, and Psychology. 

Some Simpsons facts I have learned over the years that I never knew before, even though I am sure we watched Simpsons every night of my college career:

1) The Simpsons talks about Religion more than any other show on television. One of my absolute favorite episodes is when Bart gets sent to Catholic School, and Homer and Bart convert to Catholicism against Marge’s disapproval. Jesus is in the Catholic heaven with Michael Flattley and his Riverdance crew and Mexicans :)!

2) Many of the original writers, one of whom was Conan O'Brien, were Ivy League educated. They intentionally write jokes for the one percent who get them. 

3) And yes the Simpson predicted Trump would run for office - actors, elevator, Melania, and all.

4) And there is that bizarre 9/11 comic book cover. Maybe Matt Groening can actually time travel.  I don’t actually believe that. I think he and the writers just keep paying attention to what is actually happening in our bizarre society.

I personally love The Simpsons because of its brilliant critique of American Capitalism. 

Anyway, I just think that the Simpsons is brilliant. I always thought I was more like Lisa, but maybe I am actually more of a Marge. And I love Marge. Heck she created Lisa. 

Marge is a great woman. She stands by her man. She’s moral. She loves her children. She is a devoted mother and wife and sister. 

See nothing to me is more attractive than intelligence and a sense of humor. And I could not make it through life without laughter. 

"I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead."

Long live Bart. Eat my shorts man (or men)!


No comments:

Post a Comment