Total Pageviews

Monday, August 15, 2022

Happy Feast of the Assumption

Campus is closed today. It is the Feast of Assumption. That is the day Mary trancended into heaven. I am usually so abustle with the beginning of the academic year that I never really take the time to focus on what this Holy Day means. But today, I am. 

I came to the University of Dayton because of the Marianist. To me, they are the most Christian people I have ever encountered. The order emerged out of France during the revolution. Of course this is where I belong. Marianst care about the earth, each other, and community. They walk in the footsteps of Christ. 

My high school was run by the Immaculate Heart of Mary nuns. I am also from a predominately female family, so Mary has just always been very important to me. And now, my daughter is going to study on this campus. That is just such a blessing. 

You know Mary had a hard, hard life. She watched them crucify her son. She had to have enduring and spotless faith to do all that God asked her to do. And she did it all with such grace. I have Protestant friends who don't really understand the Catholic devotion to Mary. We are devoted to her. God chose her as the mother of Christ. She created, carried, and raised Jesus. She watched as they killed him. She believed and endured. She had constant and unbreaking faith. A dear Jewish friend gets it. She gave me a book to read actually that was about how Mary was just a Jewish mom. She was. 

I lost my father a few years back. I had a transcendental experience on campus six days after his death on his birthday. I had always believed in Heaven, but I know that he passed over to it for sure now. That's another thing other faiths question about Catholicism - the belief in the supernatural. We do believe in miracles. Mary was one of God's biggest miracles. This is sacred and holy day. We should honor the female deity, the mother of Christ, and God's immaculate conception. Happy Feast of the Assumption. Prayers for peace all over the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment