Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 14, 2022

New beginnings

My mom said something very smart to me once. See I am a teacher. She said, "you know you are going to get so close to them and have to always say goodbye." Like most things, she is totally right. But one of the biggest blessings of teaching is that every fall it is a totally new beginning. 

I am one of those lucky, I guess, people who knew my vocation very early. I always wanted to be a teacher. And everyone always wanted me to teach. Every time I think about leaving, I get pulled back into it. Oddly, that usually comes from a former student. It is just this thing about my life. A huge blessing. Huge. But also a lot. It is my life's work. 

I love teaching. It has been very hard these last few years though. I am a little burned out. Teachers get burned out. I am not saying anything surprising or insulting. It's a tough, tough job. Go do it. We need teachers.  I just read bell hooks who agrees teachers need a break and to switch things up. This is why teachers need sabbaticals - to recharge. Geoffrey Canada also agrees. 

I am older. It is harder to get names - with the mask forget about it. Many of my students dress alike to begin with, and add in the winter hat and coat, well I am in trouble.  I also do not like online grading. Covid stink. The economy stink. Their mental health is challenging. And these politics....and the threats to this career and the curriculum...truly terrifying. Thank goodness I teach college. These public ed teachers need our support. But I digress.  See I stay in it and so do they because on some very magical days in the classroom somehow that all goes away and for approximately an hour we can get lost in the life of the mind. And that is sacred to me and the students.  

This year is another new beginning, and hopefully I will get the magic back. This year is the craziest one yet because my daughter will be on campus with me. This is really one of the coolest things that has ever happened to me. I am so glad she has decided to study on our campus. 

But man, I better be a good teacher this year then! No pressure there. 

I'm off to do an author study on Parker Palmer. Hopefully lhe will speak to me. He always does. 

So here's to new backpacks, autumn leaves, and new beginnings with brilliant students!  Have a wonderful academic year. You got this teach :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment