Total Pageviews

Monday, January 3, 2011

The Up Side

When I was up there last weekend, I did read an article about how many films are being shot in Detroit. Very cool. I also read about all of the art going on in the city. It really is a great city. I am so tired of what a bad rap it gets in the press. I know right now, it is going through very difficult times, but the media has given Detroit a bad rap for years now. Whenever I tell people that I am from Detroit, they say something snide like, "I am sorry." It does not help one bit that I live in the land of the Buckeye either.

I was struck by the accent up North this latest trip. It is quite charming really. Down here, people ask me all of the time if I am from New York. New York? Really? Seriously. No? I am from the Mitten!

On the radio I heard more KidRock and Eminem than I ever wanted to. It is like they were on every other song. I used to hate Eminem when I taught high school over a decade ago and he broke on the scene. I thought he was vulgar and a bad influence on my students. However, I have come to appreciate him as he matures. I always sort of liked Kid Rock a bit, but now, I see him as a Detroit treasure. He really cares about the place. He even started a brewery I think in the city to help job growth.

Michigan is really beautiful. The thing I miss the most about it, besides my family, is the water. The lakes are so breathtaking. I took them for granted when I grew up there. I did not realize that not everyone can walk a half a mile to go swimming whenever they want to. Now, I am surrounded by rivers. Just not the same. Over the holidays, the lakes gave off this dense fog. It was mysteriously ethereal. What a beautiful place to grow up. Now we just have to spread the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment