Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Detroit's the Thing

I have to admit, even though things look dire at times for Motown, it seems to be more popular than ever. I think this shows that America, and the world for that matter, really does care about its northern sister. Hollywood is filming there, artists are creating there, and the press has moved in to document this chaotic time daily.

In many ways, it is cooler to be from Detroit now than ever. There is even a show on ABC now -- Detroit 1-8-7. I have to admit, I have avoided it like the plague. They had some really racist preview a few months back that turned my stomach, so I vowed to never watch it. But, in doing research for this blog, last night I thought I should check it out.

So, I watched. It was an okay show -- much like any other crime drama with Detroit as the backdrop. Of course there was a murder. It also had characters from Hollywood and such. It showed some of the art going on in Corktown. So, I guess I might watch it again. This one episode did not paint Detroit in too negative of a light.

So, even in this dire economic time, Detroit is offering a beacon of hope. America and the world know that Detroit is something special. Everyone is fascinated about it because of this. My father lived through the Depression. America got out of that. Detroit will bounce back from this also. It will be stronger and better because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment