Total Pageviews

Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year

As the recession enters its third year, I feel a need to document it from the perspective of a girl from Detroit who now lives in Ohio. I have been wanting to do this for sometime, but as of late, I feel like I really need to do it - to give my city a voice that is missing.

First off, let me tell you a little bit about myself. My mom and dad grew up in Detroit during its heyday. My father, a Boston transplant, worked as a tool designer and contracted for the big three. My mom is a Detroit Catholic, whose faith never gets shaken.

I was raised until fifth grade in Southfield. Then, we moved to Bloomfield Hills. I did not live in the richest square mile in America, but just outside of it. I did, however, live in the richest county in America during my formative years. Oh, how times have changed.

For the past three years, I have gone home to find my city devastated. Actually, for about the last five years my family kept telling me how terrible it was. There was a mass exodus from not only the city, but also from the suburbs. Now, it has creeped all the way north to my hometown.

When we went home for Thanksgiving, we counted 24 for lease signs on the four mile stretch of Telegraph Road from 12 Mile to Quarton. My Gap, Barnes & Nobels, and Kroger are closed. This is surreal, and I must write about it for my own sanity.

8 comments:

  1. Another Detroit girl here - I don't get back there very often, so will depend on your blog for updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was our old neighborhood. Is that the Kroger near Maple and the Barnes & Noble across the street?

    Did you go to Andover or Lahser?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, J&K! I'm glad you found your way to Molly's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. J & K, I actually went to Marian. I went to Marian actually. I did go to Andover for about a quarter and switched to Marian. I grew up in Foxcroft. What neighborhood did you grow up in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I typed that twice - my nine month old got loose. Got distracted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good news though -- Leo's Coney Island is still alive and kickin'. So is the Gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Molly I grew up in Southern California. From there we lived in three states before moving to Michigan in 1988. We lived behind the Franklin Cider Mill for four years & then spent a year in Connecticut. On our return, wanting to stay in the same school district, we found a house between Lahser & Telegraph near Lone Pine. Our oldest went to Lahser & was followed there two years later by our younger son. Where is Foxcroft?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to the Franklin Cider Mill this past fall. Glad to report it is doing better than ever. There was live music, carriage rides, and all the charm. Foxcroft is between Maple and Quarton off Telegraph. I had many friends who went to Lahser. Great school. I visited there a few times and even went to their prom!

    ReplyDelete