Total Pageviews

Monday, January 10, 2011

Oh How I Wish again that I was in Michigan

I don't usually get homesick. Well, occasionally I do, but I have not really lived in Detroit for eighteen years or something. But this holiday season and beginning of the new year, I am homesick. I count my blessings that I am only four hours away and not a plane ride. But, away is away. It is very hard to be away when people you love are sick and others may need you.

It's not that I ever wanted to move away from metro-Detroit. It is in fact quite the opposite. I tried to land a job up there in '95. I didn't get one. Sure, I could have substitute taught, but I was offered a classroom in Ohio, so I thought, I will just teach here a year or two and then go home.

Well, needless to say, one year has turned into many. And now, to be honest, Southern Ohio is as much my home as Detroit. And my support system is great. But, it still does not make it easy to not live in the place where I was born, where my family is, and where my parents are. It used to be easy. Fun in fact - a quick get away. Hop in the car and three hours later, I was home. But now, a husband, two kids, and bagel hound later, it is not so easy. First there's the kennel. Then the pack n' play, stuffed aniimals, and suitcases that weigh down the minivan. Sounding like a Harry Chapin song now.

Plus, I bring chaos. My baggage includes the excess energy of a six year old, the cries in the middle of the night and toddles of a nine month old, and the sleepless agitation of middle-aged parents. So, out of respect, sometimes I stay put.

But, because of social media, I know I am not alone. So many of my friends from growing up have moved away from Michigan. And, I am sure that many of them share the same story. We would love to still live in the mitten, but really, it is just not on our path, for some reason or another. The old cliche is true - you can never go back. But, sometimes I wish I could put on my red, ruby slippers.

2 comments:

  1. Growing up and growing old are difficult things. Life just seems to get more and more complicated. I cannot imagine having been far away from my parents for that long, but I do have something else to share. I am the youngest child of older parents. Both of mine passed away within 5 years of each other before I turned 40. There is something of a homesick feeling that hangs around almost all the time now without them. I can't tell you how many times I think "I wish I could call Mom and ask her what she thinks?" about this or that... Hang in there Molly and get home as often as you can. Love and peace to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks for the word of support Mel. Love and peace to you also. I know everyone goes through things. It is just my time. Have a blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete