Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

John Grogan's "The Longest Trip Home"

Well, after only a day, the blog has reached fellow Detroiters. Impressive. Thanks for the support.

I am writing to fellow Detroiters to recommend John Grogan's The Longest Trip Home. He is the author of Marley & Me. He also grew up on the West Side. He writes about growing up in West Bloomfield. I loved the book and at times thought that he was living a parallel life with me.

I am very impressed with Mr. Grogan actually. I am an English instructor at a local University. I have my Masters in literature. I LOVE BOOKS, but I have never actually written a fan letter to an author before. But, after reading The Longest Trip Home, I actually sat down and wrote an email to John Grogan, fully expecting to hear nothing in return. But, being a fellow Detroiter, Mr. Grogan proved me wrong. Not only did her write me right back, but we actually exchanged quite a few emails. He is as nice a guy as he seems in the film. Being raised Catholic in metro Detroit, I loved the book, and I highly recommend it.

Warning -- some of my conservative Catholic friends did not LOVE the book. I, however, did. But, I think I lean a bit to the liberal side of things. Nonetheless, a great book about a great town!

No comments:

Post a Comment