Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Economic Turn Around

Well today, the news showed that all three of the big three's stocks were up. I think Chrysler was up 17 percent, Ford 15 percent, and GM 7 percent or something. This is good news. But, I really don't know how Detroit will turn this around. I don't mean to be doom and gloom here. I just witnessed Telegraph Road last weekend. I wish I had millions of dollars to invest in Detroit. I would bring some Green business up there. I bought a Mega Millions ticket for tonight. Who knows. Maybe I won! :) Yeah right.

I moved from one GM town to another. I always say Dayton is a mini-Detroit (with a bit more Appalachian influence - Dayton, Ohio is a gas tank away from Kentucky -- literally). Two years ago, I saw the GM Truck and Bus Plant close in Moraine. This mammoth facility sits there empty. I do think there is currently a prospective buyer though.

It is so HUGE. Who ever thought the Truck and Bus plant would close. These documentarians from Yellow Springs, Ohio (great town by the way) even were nominated for an Oscar for a film on the closing: The Last Truck. It is a great film documenting the devastation that hit Dayton when GM pulled out. During this hard time, I read somewhere that for every plant job lost, there were at least 4 if not 10 other jobs lost in a town. This seems to be true for Detroit. Dayton is weathering the storm somehow. NCR has since pulled out, with other companies following. But, Detroit is just devastated. I think Dayton is bad, and then I drive four hours up 75 and see how terrible Detroit is.

On the news they say that Nevada has the highest unemployment rate. I think it is around 15 percent or something. Michigan and Ohio are hit pretty hard though. I only live like 20 minutes from Wilmington, where DHL pulled out. Rachel Ray actually documented the devastation that hit that town a year ago with a special Thanksgiving episode.

I see the city of Detroit as the epicenter of this financial blackhole though. It has got to have the highest unemployment rate of any major American city. Let's hope these car companies continue to grow in a positive direction. We want our city back!

No comments:

Post a Comment