Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 22, 2023

All the "-isms"

I do a lecture at least once each term with every class about all the --isms.  In Business writing we talk of course about Capitalism and how even the Catholic church agrees that the most just society is a free market. We talk about Classism and privilege, as I constantly try to check theirs and mine. 

In my composition and literature classes, we learn about Criticism, Marxism (this is not communism - it is a way to interpret literature through patriarchy, property, and power), and Feminism. We learn about racism through writer's like Toni Morrison. I am one of those dangerous Critical Race Theory teachers. (Oh my. I am sooooooo scary. ;) I will be if you take my Toni Morrison away. 

This blog, originally about Detroit, has now morphed into my recovery journey, with the hopes of helping others. What a metaphor huh? Who knew. God is like that. Art is like that. Life is like that. It makes sense later.

I am definitely on a healing journey. It helps me to write. So this is about the disease of alcoholism, but I am not gonna focus on that in this post. I'll talk about another ism -- workaholism. I used to be addicted to working. 

So when I wasn't drinking last time, I was working. I was working, working, working. My world had bottomed out, and I pretty much knew I had to get it together to provide for my family. So what is the smartest thing to ever do? I went back to school, and I did become a doctor. This I know is the best thing I have ever done professionally. My kids will always be the best thing I ever did. Actually, I owe my daughter an apology for being so busy during her childhood. I did the best that I could, but I missed a few soccer games. She always says that she doesn't want to be a PhD. Her dad is finishing a PhD program. She has seen the workaholism and actually checks me on it. I listen. I want to spend more time with my family and friends now. No one ever puts, "I wish I spent more time at work" on their gravestone. 

My daughter was going into kindergarten when I started my PhD program. I had to take two night classes, at least the first year. It was actually an honor. I applied, and they made me join the cohort like two weeks later. Then, they said they were using  me as a model for the new research curriculum. My PhD program is ranked often as the top educational school in America. It simply trains the best teachers. Thank you. Go Flyers!!!! I graduted when she was in high school. That is a long time to be working from like 8:30am -10:00 pm. 

Low and behold, in the midst of the chaos, God sent two more children. I still chugged along. It took me an entire decade.I also flunked one of the nine comprehensive exams. But I did not give up. I persevered. And I graduated with support from my wonderful professors. 

But I know I cannot do that again. I WAS SUCH A WORKAHOLIC. That was not healthy. Look where I ended up. You cannot just replace one obsession with another. And I know so many workaholics. It's like if you aren't a workaholic, then you are not doing your job right. That is absurd.  I am sorry but I think that is just crazy. 

America is at a pivotal time in our nation's history. The choices we make in the next year will determine the course of history for our future. Why do we need to be working hours like this? Where is the time we all need for spirituality and health? When do we rest? When do we relax? When do we spend time with our family?

I swear half the reason I drank was to relax. I am a lot like my Dad. We called him the Energizer bunny. I have soooooo much energy (I didn't at all when drinking - I just laid on my couch. Yuck). But now that I am not drinking, I wake up early, I have energy all day, it is just amazing. I was so tired of feeling sick and tired. But I cannot just go back to workaholism. No thank you. That led me here. 

So I am working on relaxing in healthy ways. I am meditating. I need to break out the yoga mat. I am walking. I am reading. I am writing. I am swimming, I am kayaking - instead of sitting in a bar. And let me tell you, it makes all the difference. So good bye isms -- time to heal. Time to be balanced and healthy. Maybe hyperfocus on any one thing is a dangerous place to be. Seems to be in my life at least. Saliente

No comments:

Post a Comment