Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 29, 2022

We got the Fairy Tale

You know what's funny, a lot of people think I am perky. I had a snotty colleague once in my career use it as an insult. But the people who really know me, like my family, know that I am actually really melancholy. See, I am one of those artistic souls who feels tortured at times. I am an artist of sorts. I mean I teach writing and have a Master of Arts. I think I just feel things deeper than most. But the thing is - that is me being stupid. I have had such a blessed life and need to have more gratitude about it. 

I had lunch with a dear friend from my PhD program Thursday. She is one of the SMARTEST people I know. I am lucky to know her. And I really admire her. To me, she has the Fairytale. I told her that. I said,  "I was just trying for the Fairytale."  I was. I said, "You got the Fairytale."  She is smart, gorgeous, has a great job, has beautiful kids, and has a great husband. 

But the doctor wisely said, "Molly - no one has the fairytale." And you know what? The doctor was right. 

But she and I do have a Fairytale life. We are PhDs. Work at top universities. We both do jobs that we love and work with beautiful souls. So here is a reminder to both her and myself: we do have the Fairytale, but the truth of the matter is, sometimes life is just hard, even in Fairytales. I mean really, sometimes Fairytales are down right freaky scary. Let's be honest.  

But thank you my dear, dear friend for being there through the statistic classes in which I struggled and now in life when I do the same. But this story is not over. Man sometimes I wish those Fairies in the forest would give me a break! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment