Total Pageviews

Monday, February 7, 2011

Imported from Detroit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKL254Y_jtc

I have to admit that even though I went to a Superbowl Party, I did not watch much of the game. The men monopolized the TV room, so I was with the women and children in the kitchen. So, sadly, I did not see this commercial live. And, none of my in-laws told me about it, which I was surprised about really. They all know how much I love Detroit. Maybe they missed it due to conversation or something. But luckily today, my Facebook page was full of people talking about it, so I checked it out on YouTube.

People are rating this the best commercial of the bunch, with which I would have to agree (although the VW Darth Vader Jedi Mind Trick ad is in a close second). My favorite line from the ad is "from people who have never been there." Isn't that the truth? People love to rail on Detroit, even if they have not one time actually stepped foot in the state of Michigan; however, this ad again is supporting my theory that it is totally hip to be from Detroit right now.

Detroit is full of luxury. I loved that they featured the Fox Theater. But luxury in Detroit does not begin and end there. We have the Whitney, The Detroit Institute of Art, and the Renaissance Center. Metropolitan Detroit is full of luxury. Growing up I was surrounded by luxury. For example, people I know from all over the Midwest drive to Troy, Michigan to shop at Somerset Mall. The Townsend in downtown Birmingham is a world-class hotel, and professional golfers oft swing their clubs at Oakland Hills Country Club. We have the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, the Ford Mustang, and Sanders Hot Fudge.

The funniest post I saw about the ad this morning was actually in a thread from a fellow blogger's post about it. Some woman wrote "Eminem is so hot." Mind you, this post was probably from a 30 something mom. On YouTube, I saw another post that said something like, "I have never been there, but I wish I was from there." See, Detroit is the hippest town in America. And, a lot of hotties are from MoTown :).

So, I am proud to be imported from the Motor City! What does not kill you makes you stronger. Just wait and see America all that Detroit has to offer you in the future. The comeback is just starting.

2 comments:

  1. Molly, I was hoping you'd get to see the spot and that you would write about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ginny. Would have missed it if it weren't for FB!

    ReplyDelete